July 14, 2009

Introduction

I do a lot of weeding. It doesn’t require much concentration unless you’re skirting poison ivy. My mind wanders. What’s on my mind? Lots of stuff. I could call it “Beyond the Marketing List.”

I guess I’m eccentric — geeky, even. You won’t find much pop culture here. I read, listen to NPR, watch virtually no television, and have a 60-hour-a-week job.

From gardening to geopolitics, the mundane to the arcane, I’ll talk about whatever seems interesting on a given day.

Oh, and a gallimaufry? It’s a kind of stew — a mixture of a lot of stuff.

Here are some possible ingredients:

  • Getting Shorter: From Fielding to Twitter
  • I-95 and the Garden State Parkway: Columbus Boulevard — perfectly suited to more traffic?
  • The Great Cape May Cat Debacle of 2007: One man’s vendetta
  • Education on the Assembly Line: A rant
  • On Venery: A Game
  • Immigrants from Asia: A guide to relentless vines
  • Three Revolutions: From Socrates to Gutenberg and beyond
  • What’s for Dinner? Encounters with the deer family
  • A short course in weed ID
Tune in.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

  1. I would like, for one thing, a recipe for gallimaufry and a suggested wine pairing (not that I can really tell, I go for Belgian beer.)

    I like your interests and would love to know more, especially about preservation and urban planning (I was an urbanist before I knew there was such a thing).

    I'm also an admirer of artful propaganda-- if it's in the service of the right cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'll have to get out the OED and some of my mother's collection of ancient cook books (the ones that say "Dress a boar" and continue with a week's worth of stewing). I don't doubt that Belgian beer would suit. Note to Randall to include a recipe blog in the assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any woman who has poison ivy in her garden must know how to rant! I'm looking forward to reading your Education on the Assembly Line post. Educators sometimes seem to forget: Henry Ford wanted Edsels not education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And what we wanted was workers for the Edsel line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Great Cape May Cat Debacle of 2007: One man’s vendetta

    I must know more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the enthusiasm, Jenn. I'll try to fit it in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting collection of topics! After reading your bio, I was struck by how interesting I personally find people who have a diverse background in jobs and interests. What are the titles of your published materials?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found robslackir's post about the right cause of propanga to be amusingly ironic. Isn't the whole point of propaganda to make a position "the right cause"? Don't we all feel that our positions are correct?

    ReplyDelete
  9. These ideas are definitely intriguing. . .I am looking forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kemuel -- Of course our positions are correct (well, mine are, not so sure about yours). And, yes, the job of the propagandist is to persuade others into "right thinking." While propaganda for "wrong thinking" may annoy us, if it's well done and we can force ourselves into a little objectivity, we might admire the artfulness in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I second what Jenn said. I wanna hear about that cat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks. Actually, it's those cats. I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete