July 28, 2009

Don’t Talk About Writing

I’m told by an authority on such matters that it’s not appropriate to talk in the blogosphere about writing, or about the difficulties of writing. Is it a matter of etiquette? Like not talking in public about your latest operation, or complaining loudly about an affliction that everyone shares? Don’t whine. Just suck it up and get on with it.

I don’t understand why this should be a rule. I thought the internet was wide open. Freedom! No constraints. We can rant however we like. If we find like-minded surfers, so much the better. If not, oh, well.

Writing about writing is a time-honored form. Many writers have done it. If done well, it can be entertaining. It certainly sparks a flash of recognition, even commiseration and advice from other writers, as my blog on writer’s block did.

I was going to follow it up with a piece on cutting, about how difficult it is to pull out all those precious little children that you’ve taken such trouble to plant on the page.

But now… I’m not so sure.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

  1. I think what was meant was this: Writing about writing isn't a topic you should too often go to the well with. It can become too self-conscious if employed too often. But like cooking with tarragon, it has it's place once in a while. I also distinctly thought I heard the phrase "this works for me!"

    I agree with you that blog writing should be about liberation-- the weirder the better. So go for it, Ms. Gallimaufry! Be the freak you were never allowed to be in the print world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that I'm an authority, but another tip I'd suggest is to never use that font again. Dear Lord! I could hardly read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob --
    Freak, nerd! What's next? I'm assuming these are compliments. Of course liberation is one thing. Getting an audience is quite another, possibly conflicting goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proper --
    I wonder what font you're seeing. All my blogs are in the same font, so far as I can tell. But thanks for the tip. I'll check the html.

    ReplyDelete